Plans Fluid for Group 1 Winner Probabeel

Date: 30 Mar 2020

Plans Fluid for Group 1 Winner Probabeel

NZ Racing Desk reports:

In the normal scheme of things, Saturday's
gritty performance for second in the Gr.1 Vinery Stud Stakes (2000m) at
Rosehill would have been class filly Probabeel's
(NZ) (Savabeel) last of her current
Australian campaign.

That was the initial plan for the Brendan
and Jo Lindsay-owned three-year-old as trainer Jamie Richards and her
connections looked ahead to the promise of her four-year-old spring campaign.

That of course was until the current
Covid-19 pandemic threw a massive spanner in the works and cast doubt on just
what shape and form the racing industry would take next week let alone next

Given the Savabeel filly has been handling
her current workload with aplomb, Richards is happy to press on to another
significant target provided his charge comes through her latest performance in
top shape.

“She was very brave on Saturday and went a
terrific race on a track that was a little too wet for her liking,” Richards

“I thought Kerrin McEvoy rode her a treat
and had her in the right places at the right time but with that slower tempo
early in the race she just couldn't quite get to the winner who had had it
pretty soft in front.

“She needs that firmer footing to really
ping like she can so to get as close as she did was a tremendous effort.

“She has been thriving during her time in
Sydney and has had no trouble maintaining her weight and condition so the
racing isn't taking that much out of her.

“We had initially thought that Saturday
would be her last run and we would bring her home and put her in the paddock as
we look to the spring but the way things are at the moment, we have had to have
a rethink on that front.”

Richards will wait for a report from his
father Paul, who is in Sydney with Probabeel along with fellow stablemates Melody Belle (NZ) (Commands) and Te Akau Shark (NZ) (Rip Van Winkle),
before deciding on the filly's next step however a shot at the Gr.1 Australian
Oaks (2400m) at Randwick on April 11 is the likely scenario.

“I'll speak with Dad about how she has come
through the race before we make a decision on our next move,” he said.

“The early reports are she has pulled up
well and if she comes through this one like she has previously then we will be
heading to the Oaks.

“We have Melody Belle ready to go in the
Doncaster (Gr.1, 1600m) at Randwick this weekend and she has done really well
since moving to Sydney from Melbourne.

“I'm looking forward to getting her on that
Randwick track as I think it suits her a little better and as we are based
there she has gotten into a nice rhythm which won't be too different to what
she will encounter on raceday.”

With racing on hiatus in New Zealand,
Richards is finding it a little hard to adjust to a slower pace than he is used
to in his daily life.

“I'm at home here in Matamata in lockdown with
Mum and my sister Libby and things are pretty different to what they are
normally,” he said.

“We've got a couple of horses in the paddocks at the stable which need feeding and the like but with the rest of the racing team out spelling there hasn't been a hell of a lot to do.

“I've been up and cleaned the gutters out and done a bit of water blasting around the place but the new routine is going to take a bit of getting used to.” - NZ Racing Desk - photo Bradley photos


Sign up to our newsletter